Sunday, November 30, 2008

At a butcher shop



I went to a student art exhibition in Siam Paragon. And was quite impressed at the talents of these young minds. Refreshing and bold. There were many interesting pieces, but my attention was caught by this.

The artist for the photo shown here is Kreerath Sunnitramat (image below):



In his digital photo (actually blown up into a very large size), Kreerath tries to present a situation at a butcher shop. See the bloody and messy, dirty floors, flooded with pigs blood. The butchers here could either be Thais or migrant workers.

The write-up of this piece is in Thai, except for somethings like name of artiste and medium of work. So I can't make out much of what this is. But ...

In an instant I felt like puking, and felt some empathy for the workers who had to slog all day in this kind of environment. It must be quite revolting but can they help it?

I also thought about Thai Buddhist society and how they would react when see this. Buddhists would prefer not to kill animals. But the bloody floor tells a different story.

The other thing that came to mind was the situation back home. Malaysian Chinese are often labelled "Babi" or pig (in a degrading manner) by the ultra racists.

But the ultra racists forget that many Malaysians of Chinese origins do not eat meat, let alone pork, for various reasons.

I do not eat pork, or beef, or even lamb. Mostly chicken, which I do not prefer because I rather like fish. I am mostly vegetarian, no seafood at all, no eggs, only fish.


It's sad to see how conservative society is and how little have changed since the dark ages.

2 comments:

de minimis said...

Susan

This is my first time at this blog of yours. I don't know why but I feel that this blog is more of the real you compared to the so-po blog of yours. It's interesting, observational and opinionated but not in such a in-your-face tone as your so-po blog. I really and truly like this one. With the greatest of respect to the other blog, this one's waaaaaaaay more interesting...to me, anyway.

susanloone said...

Thanks de minimis,

There is of course many sides of me, as you will notice. I guess I want people to know that I am not just about politics though I am passionate about it.

Thanks for dropping by anyway. Will be updating this blog as frequently as I can.