Friday, November 28, 2008

State of emergency on Sukhumvit road



Nah!

When I left the office at 6pm yesterday, Sukhumvit road was as congested as ever. People were still rushing home for the weekend, dinner before disco, or Christmas shopping.

Did you say there was a state of emergency in Bangkok?

Yes, only at Suvanabhumi airport, where even taxi drivers are joking about it.

"Not going to Suvanaphoom, are you?"they'll ask cheekily, adding "Even if you pay us 1,000B (RM100) we won't go!"

Since I've been here in 2006, there's always something or other in the political scene. I've gotten use to it. Though my work in human rights does not allow me to be detach from it.

In Sukhumvit where I live and work, it's Christmas forever.

1 comment:

tony sam said...

I would like to take this opportunity to inform those who are unable to get onto a flight to KUL or SIN or anywhere just to get out off BKK due to worry, work, etc: if you are unable to get a seat out of BKK, please go to Phnom Penh , Cambodia. There are many flights on AK, MH, KE , OZ, MI , BR, CI, KA and many more. You can get into Cambodia via the Thai / Cambodia border at Poipet. Along the way , there are many resorts and the fame Angkor Wat which you can enjoy before taking the trip back home.

There is no need to wait until 10 December 2008 for the train ticket to Butterworth.

Good luck.